Friday, January 8, 2016

Our Largest Current GWM Portfolio Holding - HFXAX

Catalyst Hedged Futures Strategy Fund 

 (HFXAX)


Fund Objective:
Stephen L Gerritz, CFP

Investment Policy

The Fund seeks capital appreciation in all market conditions, with low volatility and low correlation to the US equity market. The Fund invests primarily in long and short call and put options on S&P 500 Index futures contracts and in cash and cash equivalents, including high-quality short-term fixed income securities.


This fund is doing it's intended job for our portfolios. I needed to have a position in client accounts to help reduce overall volatility and to provide an effective way to generate some return in a declining market. I highlighted it's performance in my latest newsletter. It actually has a history of performing better as the market become more volatile.


Here is the how it is rated by Lipper and how it performed this last week compared to the S&P 500:

Catalyst Hedged Futures Strategy Fund
HFXAX has earned Lipper's highest rating,  5.

While the S&P 500 declined -4.90% this first week of the year, HFXAX actually managed to gain a little, +0.09%.

I am able to purchase it with NO LOAD for FOLIO Institutional accounts only. I might add that it is now closed to the general public.  I am however able to still buy it for Folio clients.

For the benefit of those that do not receive my newsletters, here is the past performance chart that I included in my January 2016 newsletter:


Catalyst Hedged Futures Strategy Fund

HFXAX 2006 thru 2012
Outstanding performance during the 2008 - 2009 bear market.

No comments:

Post a Comment